Bullet Proof on Diabetes
- Some people are genetically predisposed for the disease. So if it runs in your family, beware.
- Diabetes can lead to blindness, amputation, and kidney failure to name a few of the horrible things that can happen if it goes unchecked.
- Black men are more likely to suffer the complications of the disease and our guess is that if you are sick with out of control diabetes you will not be as good a parent as you can be.
- All African Americans are twice as likely as whites to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
- The pairing of being overweight and a genetic predisposition can be life altering, or even life ending given that African Americans are 2.2 times more likely than whites to die from diabetes.
- Luckily, diabetes is treatable, and many people with the disease live normal lives even while taking insulin. To do this requires a lifestyle change though. There is no taking the meds then having deep fried apple pie.
- Keeping a normal weight, exercising, and eating well, as well as managing blood pressure can help prevent the disease in those predisposed but without a diagnosis, and manage the disease in those with a diagnosis.
- No smoking! Smoking makes everything worse including diabetes.
Check this out if you like stats and dry but useful info: